Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Other First Sweater

So my Big One's sweater was not actually the first sweater that I have started. The first sweater I ever started was a raglan t-shirt knit from the top down. It is the Neck Down shaped T-shirt # 233 from Knitting Pure and Simple made out of O-wool Balance. I started it in April, and then I had other things happen or call to me, and it rested from time to time. It had humble beginnings.
Then I got to the point where it was supposed to begin decreasing for waist shaping. I had one, okay well two, big fears. I was not sure it was going to fit nicely over my rather large chest without pulling funny. At this point, I determined that some bust shaping of some sort was going to need to happen. So, not knowing what to do, I took a break from the sweater. Then I discovered Bust Dart Math from Knitting Daily! Okay, so I now had a plan and was going to put in bust darts instead of the waist shaping, because that would also create the waist shaping. Here are the results of the darts. It was fitting nicely.
After I got the bust darts in, I discovered one big problem. I had gotten it over the bust nicely, but now it was shorter in the front than in the back. Now I needed to do some short rows in the front to even it out. That took a lot of trial and error. I learned a lot, but I did it! I finished my sweater. I was even able to wear it at least once before it gets too cold again!

It fits nicely, I learned A LOT! I can now say, I have made my own adult sweater, curves and all! Now that was a lovely accomplishment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks great!!! Doesn't it feel good to have it finished? I have a couple of those I need to work on too. Love ya