Sunday, March 2, 2008

Can we please be healthy already?

So, the congestion and fever garbage that has gone through the house has affected everyone now. The little one was home at the beginning of the week, and then I started not feeling so hot. I was eeking through the days, mostly because I had too, there was too much going on! Thursday afternoon though, we get a call from the big one's school, she has a temp and needs to come home and not come back on Friday. I had to get through a basketball game Thursday night, and I decided then, that the two of us needed a sick day, so I took Friday off, and we hung out in our room and watched movies. It was just what we needed. I had another basketball game last night to continue in the playoffs to state, and a soccer tournament to work, fortunately it worked out that I just needed to work the game and not spend 6 hours out in the wind before that.


Well, I did get some knitting done along the way on Friday! I worked my very first short row heel on the rambler sock. Actually I did it twice! For all my non-knitting friends, I must introduce you to two very scary knitting terms. The first is tinking. When you have to go backwards stitch by stitch, knit backwards spells tink! Not fun, but at least it is controlled. Now the other term is frogging. That is when you take out the needles and rip-it, rip-it. This is very scary because you have live stitches and losing one could be disastrous to your project. Well, I was working on my heel, and as I was almost finished, I realized that it was off center because I had counted wrong. So I very carefully took a deep breath, took out the needles, and frogged back to the beginning of the heel. I don't think I took another breath until I knew that I had all 40 stitches that I needed. I then took another deep breath when I finished the heel and it worked out beautifully!

Now this is a very different heel than the one I showed you before in anatomy of a sock which uses a heel flap. I am much more comfortable with that type of heel, but the idea was to challenge myself, and I did. I am very happy with how it is turning out, and here is my progress so far!

Now, I still have half a foot, a toe, and a whole second sock, but I am definitely having fun with this yarn and pattern!

On another note, my basketball team won last night, and we are off to state playoffs next week. So I have at least one, if not three hopefully, drives up to Emporia, Kansas where I can knit, at least on the way up, a bit too dark coming home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way this sock is turning out...makes me want to try the pattern too. Not sure about a different heel yet, but the sock is a beauty. I like the yarn even better in the sock. I used a double strand for the hat and the colors are there, but a little muddier that they are on the sock.