Sunday, February 3, 2008

Socks and more socks!

The great sockdown has begun! I was already planning on starting two new socks for myself this week, when I made a wonderful discovery. I found a new group on my ravelry site called "Sock Knitters Anonymous". They have great forums, and even have a monthly sockdown challenge. This months challenge that I am going to do is to try a new heel to me, that I have not tried before. The biggest keys, are that it has to be cast on in the month of February, and both socks finished by March 31st at midnight. It is a worthy challenge, and I will see if I am up to it. I started with casting on my rambler sock on February 1st. Here is the cuff that I have started.


I have said that this ramble sock is inspired by the hat that my Mom made me for Christmas out of the same yarn. Here is the hat.

This is why I can't wait to work on this sock, and mimic the rotating rib. I can't wait to see what they are going to look like! I hope I can do the hat justice with my socks!


So, to qualify for the sockdown challenge, I am going to try a technique called a short row heel. I have not done this before, and I look forward to the process. But as you can see from the top picture, I do have a ways to go before I get to the heel.

I have also started another sock, that I cast on on yesterday. This sock is for my favorite Local Yarn Shop (LYS), Twist's new sock of the month club called On Your Toes. This months sock pattern is called Charade. I was going to do it in a teal green, but the pink just kept calling to me. And, I am going to try a heel called the "Eye of Partridge" for this sock, so it will also qualify for a new type of heel for me. I started this sock yesterday while sitting and enjoying my time at Twist. It was movie night, and we had a lot of fun watching "Edward Scissorhands". I truly enjoyed getting to spend some time there. It is like another home! And, I got to make several new knitting friends. What could be better.

So now, my biggest test will not be doing the two new heels, but seeing if I can manage to get both pairs done by March 31st! We will see how everything progresses!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have I said thank you yet for sending me that info for that SKA group. Well okay here you go - Thank you! I am on socking knitting fire! Love your new socks!